• BEST IN STATE—Senior Courtney Schoen Lewis was named Best PR Student in Utah. Story
  • CROWBAR—Athletes compete in annual Crowbar backcountry race in Logan Canyon. CHRISTIAN HATAHWAY
  • HINDU FESTIVAL—Hundreds of Hindus and friends gather for annual Holi Festival of Colors in Spanish Fork. DANA IVINS
  • RAINBOW CELEBRATION—Holi celebrants joyfully paint themselves at Hindu festival. DANA IVINS
  • HUT! HUT! HUT!—ROTC teams compete in Ranger Challenge at Camp Williams. ALISON OSTLER. Story
  • SNOWBARD JAM—Boarders show their stuff on the Quad during Entrepreneur Week. CASSIDEE J. CLINE. Story
  • SNOWBOARD TRICKS as hotdoggers show off on the Quad during Entrepreneur Week. CASSIDEE J. CLINE. Story
  • WINTER A and the American flag over a snowy USU campus. WHITNEY PETERSON
  • QUADVIEW—A springtime view of the USU Quad and Old Main from atop the business building.
  • PRESS CONFERENCE—USU President Stan Albrecht briefing journalism students. CHRIS ROMRIELL. Story
  • HIGH-HEELIN’ IT—Men in high heels and their female supporters walk a mile to protest sex abuse. TY ROGERS
  • ELK PICNIC—Elk and humans mingle at the winter refuge at Blacksmith Fork's Hardware Ranch. CARESA ALEXANDER. Story

No injuries in Wednesday fire at Utah State’s LDS Institute building

January 25th, 2012 Posted in Opinion

Story & photo by Tmera Bradley

LOGAN — A fire at the LDS Institute of Religion forced Utah State University students to evacuate the building this morning. The incident took place at approximately 9:45 a.m. in the kitchen on the second floor of the building. Flames caused fire and heat damage to many appliances and furnishings in the room.

“There was so much smoke in the kitchen that they couldn’t even see,” said Lynn Hopkins, an Institute instructor.

Hopkins said the stove in the kitchen is believed to be the source of the fire. “I don’t know if someone accidentally left the stove on or what,” Hopkins said.

The Institute had been giving apples to students this week and a box of fruit was left on the stovetop. Hopkins said it is possibile the box was bumped, turning on a burner.

“There are thousands of kids who go through here every day so there’s no knowing what happened really.”

James Butler, an instructor at the Institute, said the alarms in the building are set to automatically notify the fire department after detecting smoke.

Butler said a few teachers and students who witnessed the accident used a fire extinguisher on the flames. The Logan City Fire Department then responded to the emergency. Authorities were unable to give a statement at that time.

“Everyone got out quickly so that was good,” Butler said.

Nick Christensen was in his Institute class when the smoke alarms went off. His teacher told students in the class to leave their backpacks and evacuate the building. Christensen, a sophomore, said he assumed it was only a test.

“Then we got outside and were like, ‘Oh, there is a fire,’” Christensen said.

Students stood outside in the freezing temperatures until approximately 11:10 a.m. when they were allowed inside, but only to get their backpacks.

Institute classes were cancelled for the rest of the day.

NW

Tags: , , , ,

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.