• BEST IN STATE—Senior Courtney Schoen Lewis was named Best PR Student in Utah. Story

Logan family escapes apartment fire

September 23rd, 2013 Posted in Opinion

By Mitch Henline

LOGAN — Fire crews put out a blaze in the second story kitchen of an apartment building at 257 W. 600 North early Monday afternoon. No one was injured.

“We got dispatched to this address for a working structure fire,” said Scott Kendrick, battalion chief of the Logan Fire Department. “We arrived on scene, got a crew upstairs, found a pot left on a stove which started the cabinets on fire just above the stove. No extension to the attic or anything like that.”

Mayra Velasquez, who lives at the apartment with her two daughters, told Hard News Café in Spanish that she had left kitchen momentarily while cooking, and returned to find a fire. She immediately evacuated the building. “We haven’t gone up to see the damage,” she said. “We’ll be able to go in, but we can’t sleep here tonight.”

Hard News Café will report more information as it becomes available.


Tags: , , ,

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.