• BEST IN STATE—Senior Courtney Schoen Lewis was named Best PR Student in Utah. Story

Joe’s boat bursts into flames—in his driveway!

August 14th, 2012 Posted in Opinion

Video by Ted Pease

LOGAN—Joe Kimpeld was in his house this afternoon around 4 p.m. when a neighbor pounded on his door.

Joe Kimpeld’s 1980 Apollo burned in his driveway Tuesday afternoon.

“Your boat’s on fire!”

See Logan Herald-Journal story.

Kimpeld, of 942 Evergreen Terrace in east Logan, a block from the USU cemetery, was fully aflame in his driveway. He tried the hose, but quickly decided to tow the boat, a 20-foot inboard/outboard, into the street.

Good thing: Kimpeld’s driveway is about 25 feet wide, and a burning boat could easily have spread flames to his house and his neighbor’s.

The Logan Fire Department arrived quickly, but the boat is a total loss. See dramatic YouTube video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVSoIQxkVCQ&feature=youtu.be)

Kimpeld says his boat, a 1980 Apollo that he was refurbishing, has a 50-gallon gas tank. It was almost empty—good thing!—when the boat caught fire as he was working on the boat’s carburetor. Had the fire sparked the gas tank, this could have been a bigger thing.


Tags: , ,

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.